So this week is sleep awareness week (I know, does anyone feel like in 2016 they added a bunch of random awareness weeks haha!), but it is a great opportunity to share on the importance of sleep and tips to sleep better. Not getting a sleep has SO many adverse health effects including increased hunger and cravings, increased risk of disease, ages you faster and obviously puts you at risk for things like falling asleep behind the wheel. If you want to read for about the side effects of too little sleep see HERE on WebMD:). The good news is things like this can be prevented by sleeping more and hopefully some of these tips will help you out!
- Turn off electronics: This tip is SO hard but the blue light can really hinder your ability to sleep. Now if you are like me and use your phone for an alarm try putting it on the other side of the room and not by your bed. You can do it!
- Nutrition: This one is indivual. Some people do best not eating a few hours before bed and some people do REALLY eating a bedtime snack. Forget rules and do you. If you really struggle with this I always highly recommend seeing a dietician. 🙂
- Meditation and/or Light Yoga: Super intense exercise before bed gives you MORE energy and makes it hard to sleep weirdly enough. Meditation can help quiet the mind and help with all those thoughts that keep you up at night. Light yoga is what I do and it really helps me get rid of my physical energy from the day, and I use savasana my meditation of sorts.
- Read: Reading before bed really helps me to not think and focus my mind elsewhere until I am to exhausted to stay up anymore!
- Write: Writing down all your worries from the day before bed can also help not keep you up at night with anxiety.
- Routine: Keeping a night routine can help prep your routine for bed. If your night routine is always changing it is harder to sleep.