So this is a post I wish I wasn’t writing. A month an a half ago I lost my dad. At first I honestly thought I was okay but for some reason these past two days it has really it me, and to be honest I’m just not okay right now. Loosing him has been so extremely painful, not just knowing he is gone, but without getting to personal guilt has been SO hard to deal with. I think this post is more for me than for you because I find writing so therapeutic but I honestly hope what I have been doing to cope helps you as well.
- Talk to Someone. If this is an option, you’d be amazed how healing this can be. Reach out and cry, vent, yell or do whatever you need to do to let out what is hurting you inside.
- Faith. If you have faith or spirituality try and think of where they are now. Knowing they are happy now can help alleviate some pain and guilt.
- Take time but not to much. I am ALL FOR taking time to cry and deal with your loss but to much time can backfire. At some point, unfortunately, you have to move on. Staying alone for to long really puts you at risk for depression. After a week or so go out and live your life and do everything you can to honor that person.
- Write. Like I was saying in the beginning writing is SO therapeutic so try journaling, fake letters, blogging, songwriting, venting on paper or whatever works for you. Writing is a great option if you have no one to talk to as well.
- Be prepared. Be prepared for unexpected feelings. Sometimes you think your okay, sometimes it feels like you’ll never be okay and it always comes at unexpected times but be prepared and feel everything.